Subject: [Nessc] April 4 meeting
From: siscoe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:27:57 -0500
List-Id: New England Space Science Consortium <nessc.bu-ast.bu.edu>

Hi All:
Nathan suggested that the April 4 meeting of NESSC be devoted to moving 
forward on the set of joint papers.  Since he might not be there, he 
asked me to preside.  Accordingly here is an agenda:
10:00    Coffee and pastry
10:30    Review of project--Siscoe
10:40    Status reports by topic leaders (suggested two viewgraph 
maximum) with discussion by audience followed by breaking into two or 
three working groups to define the content and needed research to bring 
each paper under discussion to fruition.
Lunch will be available at noon
We will break up at 3 pm.

The following is a list of the topics and leaders somewhat revised from 
the last version.  The status of each topic has been added to the best 
of my knowledge of it.

    * Comparative reconnection as it bears on the relative roles of
      microscale and macroscale determinants of local and global
      reconnection rates: BHATTACHARJEE, Raeder, Dorelli, Korreck. 
      DEFINITION STAGE
    * Proton-electron asymmetry in post-eruption plasmas in the corona
      and magnetosphere: SPENCE, Schwadron--WRITING STAGE
    * Shock heating and particle accelerations: KORRECK, Raymond, Lee,
      Moebius, Kahler--DEFINITION STAGE
    * Reconnection and current sheet acceleration: CHEN (Bhattacharjee),
      Chupp, Moebius--DEFINITION STAGE
    * Cooling of plasma in ICMEs and plasmoids: HUGHES and SISCOE
      (Elliott), Raymond (UVCS), Smith--DEFINITION STAGE
    * CME-plasmoid acceleration and propagation: WU (SCHWADRON), Forbes,
      Reeves, Siscoe--FINAL RESEARCH STAGE
    * Pre-eruption and eruption processes (e.g., flux cancellation for
      CMEs and "build-up" or growth phase for substorms) REEVES, Forbes,
      Lin, Spence, Hughes--DEFINITION STAGE (2nd go around)
    * Post-eruption processes sunward or earthward of the eruption site
      (flares and auroras, particle heating/energization and injection
      into closed-field-line volumes): RAYMOND, Korreck, Golub, Spence,
      Hughes, Reeves, Webb--DEFINITION STAGE
    * Post-eruption presence of magnetic reconnection (ICMEs and
      plasmoids):  CROOKER and HUGHES, Farrugia, Owens, Goodrich,
      Raeder--CANCELED
    * Post eruption current sheets and "blobs": LIN, Cranmer, Raymond,
      Crooker, Goodrich, Hughes--DEFINITION STAGE (2nd go around--need
      to include magnetospheric current sheet)
    * Turbulence, waves, fields and plasma structure in ICME and
      terrestrial magnetosheaths: SMITH, Farrugia,
      Richardson--DEFINITION STAGE
    * Magnetosheath accretion and ICME shock standoff distance as a
      function of radial distance: SISCOE, Isenberg, Hughes, Webb,
      Richardson--WRITING STAGE
    * Flux transport by interchange reconnection in the magnetosphere:
      Merkin, Crooker--NEW, RESEARCH STAGE
    *  From AGU special session (so far): Mark Moldwin and Mark Linton;
      Mihir Desai and David Burgess--?

There are eight projects in the definition stage (some of these might be 
in the research stage by now), two in the research stage and two in the 
writing stage.  One has been canceled and replaced by another that is in 
the research stage (an example of what might be a common development as 
the definition stage works itself into the research stage). 

The agenda is a continuation of the working-group format that we used at 
the last NESSC meeting at MIT.  There we lacked enough magnetosphere 
types to cover the terrestrial half of the discussions.  This time there 
should be more of them since they are concentrated at BU. 

Nathan listed the following as topics to be discussed at the April meeting

1. Comparative determinants of Micro-scale and macroscale reconnection

2. Comparative Particle Acceleration at Shocks and Reconnection Regions

3. Comparative Shocks (e.g., traveling interplanetary shocks, the bow shock, the termination shock)

4. Comparative pre-eruption and eruption processes (e.g., flux cancellation for CMEs and "build-up" or growth phase for substorms)

5. Comparative post-eruption processes (e.g., blobs and current sheets)

6. Comparative magnetic reconfiguration processes (e.g., interchange reconnection and magnetospheric convection)

I suggest that we continue from last time with the discussion of 
pre-eruption/eruption topic (number 4 on the list) since it is central 
to the whole subject of CMEs and substorms, and this time we should have 
more substorm input. The turbulence etc. topic and comparative 
reconnection topic could also benefit from group inputs to define the 
content of the papers.  Of course, which topics receive attention at the 
meeting will depend on who shows up and how the discussion of the 
opening reviews by the topics leaders goes. 

Those needing parking permits, please contact Julia Barsky: [email-masked]
I hope to see you on the fourth.
George Siscoe
_______________________________________________
Nessc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://bu-ast.bu.edu/mailman/listinfo/nessc